Our two-day intensive course for intermediate gemstone study will guide you through six blocks of coursework of gemstones. Prior knowledge of gemstones will be helpful for this course as we will cover the main species and varieties of gemstones and the use of observation reports. At the end of each block you will be taught how to use gemmological equipment including microscope, refractometer, polariscope, spectroscope, dichroscope and use of filters. Portable equipment is very important for valuers who visit clients for the purpose of examining and assessing jewellery.
We will also cover gemstone structure formation and gemstone manufacturing. The physical and optical properties of gemstones will also be covered in detail which will enable you to recognise and sell commercially important gemstones. Under the guide of our specialist tutor, you will learn synthesis and how to detect imitation, simulant stones and enhancement. You will study what attributes affect gem prices and availability, and gain knowledge for use in a commercial environment.
· Introduction to gemstone structure and mining sources.
· Physical properties of gemstones (hardness, toughness, cleavage and fracture, chemical stability, density and specific gravity and weight)
· Optical properties (lustre, reflection, asterism, iridescence, inclusions and optical effect of light on gemstones (causes of colour, transparency, dispersion and diffraction, refraction)
· Identification of natural, synthetic, artificial and simulant gemstones
· Introduction to Gemmological equipment, including Microscope, Refractometer, Polariscope
· Spectroscope, Dichroscope and Filters
Who should take this course?
· Suited for professionals in trade, valuers, jewellers, auctioneers, jewellery enthusiasts with some experience
· Current students in jewellery related courses
· Enthusiasts looking to gain gemstone expertise
Tutor: Graham Tom has over 35 years experience in the jewellery industry. He is a diamond and gemstone broker, bespoke jeweller, registered valuer, and an expert witness.
Entry requirements: No prior knowledge or skills are necessary for this course but prior jewellery knowledge may be advantageous
Dates: 8th-9th May 2021
Duration: 2 days
Location: BAJ London campus
Qualification: British Academy of Jewellery Gemstone Studies: Intermediate Certificate
The British Academy of Jewellery offers a diverse range of specialist intensive courses to help individuals develop their jewellery knowledge and skill set in areas such as CAD and diamond grading. We also provide a jewellery diploma programme, which will equip you with all the knowledge and skills you need to design, make and sell jewellery.
Dates: 8th-9th May 2021
Course duration: 2 days
If you see this Google Maps wasn't properly loaded. Please refresh your page 🙂