This course is designed for students seeking a vocationally oriented higher education qualification available after two years full-time study. It will also appeal to mature students re-entering higher education. The vocational orientation of the programme is achieved via an applied and contextualised approach to learning. A future-oriented curriculum combined with a focus on enterprise, entrepreneurship and business sustainability help to prepare students to make a valuable contribution in the workplace and wider community. The programme also encourages the development of lifelong learning skills and instils the values of global citizenship.
The Pearson BTEC HND Diploma is designed to provide a specialist vocational programme. This programme provides a thorough grounding in the key concepts and practical skills required in the business sector and is nationally recognised by employers, allowing direct progression into employment.
The Pearson BTEC HND Diploma in Business is a two-year programme of specialist work related study that helps build essential practical skills, knowledge and understanding, alongside personal and professional proficiency. The programme is an ideal choice for students seeking a cost-effective and relevant route to a degree or those going straight into employment following successful completion of HND.
How will you learn?
The methods used across this course are varied to enable access to the curriculum for all students. Usual delivery methods include lectures, classroom discussions, case studies, group work and presentations. Each unit is assigned a national level indicator of 4 or 5, indicating the relative intellectual demand, complexity and depth of study, and learner autonomy. At Level 5 the emphasis is on application and evaluation of contrasting ideas, principles, theories and practices, greater specialisation in the field of study, and an increasing independence in systematic enquiry and analysis.
A key progression path for Pearson Higher National Diploma (HND) students is to the second or third year of a degree or honours degree programme, depending on the match of units between those studied on the Level 4 and Level 5 Diploma and the chosen HE institution.
This course has been designed with the advice and assistance of employers. Many of the assignments will replicate the tasks and skills which will be encountered in employment and regular contact with employers will be maintained by, for example, inviting guest speakers to address students. Possible career paths from HND in Business: Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management include:
• Assistant Marketing Manager
• Business Manager
• Project Manager
• Junior Social Media Executive
- Business and the Business Environment (15 credits)
- Marketing Processes and Planning (15 credits)
- Human Resource Management (15 credits)
- Leadership and Management (15 credits)
- Accounting Principles (15 credits)
- Managing a Successful Business Project (15 credits)
- Innovation and Commercialisation (15 credits)
- Digital Business in Practice (15 credits)
To make up the total of 16 units, a further 7 units will be taken in the HND year 2. The list below contains units to be studied.
- Research Project (30 credits)
- Organisational Behaviour (15 credits)
- Identifying Entrepreneurial Opportunities (15 credits)
- Launching a New Venture (15 credits)
- Managing and Running a Small Business (15 credits)
- Digital Marketing (15 credits)
- Planning Social Media Campaigns (15 Credits)
You must be over 18 years of age. You must also have:
• Level 3 qualification (60 credits or above), preferably in Business.
• GCSE maths and English (grade 4-5 (C) or above, or Level 2 equivalent to CEFR level B2 (CEFR – The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). (Exempt where applicant has completed a 60 credit Level 3 Course in Business in the UK)
• Mature applicants without formal qualifications require 2 or more years work experience in related field, personal statement, English and maths assessment equivalent to CEFR level B2.
• A Level 3 qualification (30 credits or below), plus English language skills will be assessed by the College through initial assessment equivalent to CEFR level B2.
There will also be a one-to-one interview session to understand students’ motivations to learn.
Per year (2021/22) £6,000*
*(Additional £80 per year to cover Unit Innovation Project costs)
Qualification Code: 603/6838/X
Study Type: Full time
Academic Level: Level 4/5
Course Fee: £6,000 (per year)
Award: HND Business: Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
Awarded by: Pearson
Course Length: 2 years
Teaching Weeks: 30
Teaching Hours: 21 (12 hours per week, plus 9 hours independent study)
The British Academy of Jewellery makes every effort to ensure that the contents of and statements made in this publication are fair and accurate, but it cannot accept any responsibility for omissions, errors or subsequent changes that may occur.
Programmes or modules may be revised, altered or withdrawn without notice, and assessment arrangements may be changed. It should be noted that information on entry requirements for courses and modules is for guidance only. The conditions attached to offers may vary from year to year and from applicant to applicant.