• Build your foundation of knowledge of manufacturing and design in the most comprehensive jewellery course in the UK
• Full government tuition grants are available for UK students under 18
• Be in the heart of London’s Jewellery Quarter Hatton Garden, close to industry, culture and good transport links.
• Get the help and support you need to start building your future in the creative industry
Our Level 2 Diploma in Jewellery Manufacturing and Design is a unique programme offering of holistic beginner’s education into the world of jewellery.
The course will equip you with the skills and know-how to create a piece of jewellery from concept to completed product – perfect for those looking to embark on a career in jewellery afterwards!
The programme is structured around two core modules:
Taught in our workshop studios in Hatton Garden, the course heavily focuses on the development of technical competence.Under the guidance of our expert team of tutors, you will build a set of manufacturing skills which include:
- Piercing & cutting metal
- Chain & link making
- Gem-stone setting
- A variety of finishing & polishing techniques
- How to set up your bench studio and use tools safely including blowtorches, files, a furnace, and chemicals
Alongside nurturing technical excellence, you will also learn the professional design practice within the Level 2 Diploma. On the course you learn how to:
- Find sources of design inspiration
- Explore and use appropriate methods of design – rhythm, balance, harmony, scale, proportion, line, colour, tone, proportion, composition, perspective, texture, repetitive shapes
- Create 2D orthographic technical drawings
- Use and analyse the principles of colour, lines, textures, shape and form to inform design
- Create and illustrate a creative journal
- Sample and experiment with a variety of different mediums and tools
- Understand perspective and foreshortening
- Create traditional renderings using watercolour, gouache and canson paper
- Understanding the principles of casting jewellery
- Produce a creative journal
- An introduction to jewellery CAD
Within the course you will also learn the principles of jewellery pricing and get the opportunity to have a taster of CAD for jewellery-making. Throughout the course we also offer guidance and support on different career pathways and opportunities, and will be able to support you in making the next steps towards a career in the creative industry.
In addition, if you are aged 16-18 and do not have Grade C or above GCSE Maths or English, you will also be taught these vital qualifications through a Functional Skills Unit at the beginning of your diploma.
Our practice-based Diploma is taught at our Hatton Garden jewellery workshops, where you will have access to all the tools and equipment within our professional studios. Based in the heart of London’s Jewellery Quarter, Hatton Garden, you’ll be close to industry, culture as well as excellent transport links.
A dedicated tutor with years of jewellery industry experience will be teaching and guiding you through the entire course – our personal and hands-on approach to training guarantees that each student receives unparalleled tutor contact time.
The emphasis of the course is to provide you with a foundation of knowledge and fundamental technical, design and production skills to be able to begin a career in jewellery. Modules are delivered in a series of creative technical projects to provide an exciting jewellery education.
The course runs for 2 days a week over a 10-month period, allowing students to work alongside earning a qualification.
(SQA) Level 2 Diploma in Jewellery Manufacture with a City and Guilds 2D Certificate in Design.
Passion! No experience is necessary, though any pre-existing knowledge of jewellery-making would be advantageous.
Hatton Garden, London.
Vicki Purnell, Rebecca Cheeseman, Kali Ratcliffe
10 months; 2 days a week.
We will do our best to allocate you on the course of your preference, however please note that courses are filled according to demand.
Additional dates for a full time Level 2 diplomas (Mon – Thurs; 5 months) may be added, please enquire if you would like more information.
Please note: if you require a functional skills unit, teaching may start earlier, please enquire for specific dates.
Alumni will automatically be invited to participate in our enrichment programme which includes access to some of the UK’s leading master jewellers, manufacturers and retailers as well as any help and support that you require from our team.
After completing this course, students wishing to further their training would be eligible to progress to the Level 3 Diploma in Jewellery Manufacturing and Design or the Diploma in CAD Design for Jewellery Production.
This course also prepares student looking to go straight into industry for a variety of entry level roles. Contact our Student Support Services to find out how we can support you in finding the right career for you.
If you are keen to start in the workplace, why not consider our Level 3 Apprenticeship in Jewellery Manufacturing? Which lets you continue your formal jewellery education whilst beginning a career in industry.
The Government recognises our courses support young learners to find employment in the jewellery industry and provides funding for those who wish to gain our qualifications.
The table below shows your contribution to the cost of the course:
|Aged 16 – 18 and a UK or EU National||£0|
|Aged 19+ and unemployed||£0*|
|Aged 19+ without GCSE qualifications||£2,200*|
|Aged 19+ and in employment||£2,200|
|*For full eligibility requirements please see Fees and Finance|
Our Student Support Services are happy to discuss your individual circumstances, financial advice and to advise you on how to apply for funds. You can contact them by emailing or calling 0207 405 0197.
The Money Advice Service offer free, impartial money advice to help you make choices throughout your life, whatever your circumstances. If you would like advice on any financial matters or to find out more visit moneyadviceservice.org.uk
If you see this Google Maps wasn't properly loaded. Please refresh your page 🙂