• Refine your core bench skills whilst being introduced to more advanced techniques
• Begin developing your individual design aesthetic and brand influences.
• Learner loan tuition funding available meaning you won’t need to pay it back until you earn over £21,000
• Study in our Hatton Garden studios based the Heart of London’s Jewellery Quarter, close to industry, culture and good transport links.
Our Level 3 Diploma in Jewellery Manufacturing and Design builds upon the foundation of knowledge learnt at Level 2, and offers an opportunity to refine and build your technical bench, design and production skill-sets.
The programme is structured around three core modules, and delivered through 6 projects. By the end of the course students will:
• Drawing Techniques
– Understand and execute the logical steps of designing by traditional and non-traditional mediums and equipment learnt in Level 2
– Understand perspective and foreshortening – focusing on parallel perspective
– Create 2D design (orthographic) technical drawings
• Design Development
– Have developed an individual aesthetic and design within jewellery.
– Be able to perform research on contextual influences by exploring historical, cultural, and societal trends from the past as well as current designers & makers. You will also get the opportunity to visit galleries and museums throughout the year.
– Work creatively as whilst most projects have a set briefs, there are projects within the diploma also require substantial 2D design input and research.
• Professional Brief Creation & Interpretation
– Be able to develop your own informative design briefs and (orthographic) technical drawings to inform manufacturing.
– Have worked with an actual jewellery company in the trade during the final industry live project, who will set a brief where students must design
• Core Manufacturing Bench Skills
– Have strengthened the technical bench skill-sets learnt in Level 2, whilst building a repertoire of advanced manufacturing techniques through a series of intensive projects.
– Be able to work with great accuracy and mark and measure with precision when preparing materials.
– Be able to confidently pierce, file, forge, shape, finish, pavé, as well solder, assemble, and finish pieces at the bench such as a items such as a four claw, single or double gallery eternity ring, pendant, a box clasp, and a kinetic ring.
– Have had the opportunity if they are advanced students to further their skills and understanding, during their own time or post-assessment by making pieces of their choice such as carved studs earring inc. butterfly backs, a fibula (type of brooch), and a carved ring.
– Be able to make various different collet mounts for gemstones
– Control tools, prepare your materials
– Draw and mill metal
– Work to accurate measurements from the stone given and develop skills in quality control
– Understand how different precious metals respond to different treatments
– Be able to mould, solder and file different precious metals using the most appropriate methods and techniques
• Lost Wax Casting
– Be able to carve wax and create 3D models to make a master to cast, and produce a kinetic bracelet of repeating forms
• Workshop Management
– Practice good health and safety within the workshop
– Be able to build your own tools for manufacturing, such as sticks and jigs.
– Understand core fundamentals of customer service when working with clients
– Learn to work with clients for bespoke jewellery design
– Understand the principles of costing jewellery
– Have a professional CV
The course runs for 2 days a week over a 10-month period, allowing students to work alongside earning a qualification.
To help you along the way, you’ll have access to all the tools and equipment within our professional jewellery studios. Based in the heart of London’s Jewellery Quarter, Hatton Garden, you’ll be close to industry, culture as well as excellent transport links.
A dedicated tutor with years of real industry experience will be teaching and guiding you through the entire course – our personal and hands-on approach to training guarantees that each student will receive gets unparalleled tutor contact time.
(SQA) Level 3 Diploma in Jewellery Manufacture and Design
Successful completion of the Level 2 Diploma in Jewellery Manufacturing and Design or for students wishing to join straight into Level 3, the successful completion of a skills bench test.
Hatton Garden, London.
Stephen Barnett, Michael Wong
10 months; 2 days a week.
Alumni will automatically be invited to participate in our enrichment programme which includes access to some of the UK’s leading master jewellers, manufacturers and retailers as well as any help and support that you require from our team.
After completing this course, students wishing to further their training would be eligible to progress to the Level 4 Diploma in Jewellery Manufacturing and Design or the Level 3 Diploma in Design for Jewellery Production.
This course also prepares students looking to go straight into industry for a variety of entry level roles. Contact our Student Support Services to find out how we can support you in finding the right career for you.
If you are keen to start in the workplace, why not consider our Level 3 Apprenticeship in Jewellery Manufacturing?
The Government recognises our courses can help young people to get a job in the jewellery industry and with their funding has enabled us make the course virtually free to young people.
See the table below to see how much of the cost of the course you will need to pay:
|Aged 16 – 18 and a UK or EU National||£0|
|International Student (Non-EU)||£8,400|
*For full eligibility requirements please see Fees and Finance
**The fee for this course is £6,171 including the recommended CAD award (City & Guilds Level 3 Award In 3D Computer Aided Design (QCF)). The maximum available Advanced Learner Loan for the Jewellery Manufacturing qualification is £5,421, the additional £750 cost will need to be covered by the student.
However, you can opt out of the CAD element of this course and pay £5,421, which is covered in full by an Advanced Learner Loan.
To secure a place on the course, in addition to any other requirements, you will need to have fulfilled one of the below options before the start date :
- Paid the full fee in advance or;
- Secured an approved Advanced Learner Loan and paid the additional £750 in advance or;
- Secured an approved Advanced Learner Loan and committed to recurring monthly payments via our website or;
- Opted out of the CAD award and secured an approved Advanced Learner Loan
For further information with regards to loans, please refer to our Fees and Finance page.
Our Student Support Services are happy to discuss your individual circumstances, financial advice and to advise you on how to apply for funds. You can contact them by emailing or calling 0207 405 0197.
The Money Advice Service offer free, impartial money advice to help you make choices throughout your life, whatever your circumstances. If you would like advice on any financial matters or to find out more visit moneyadviceservice.org.uk
2017/18 Course Dates
- 18th September – 9th July 2018 – Mon/Tues
- 21st September – 12th July 2018 – Thurs/Fri
If you see this Google Maps wasn't properly loaded. Please refresh your page 🙂