• Create your own high-quality jewellery collection and hero piece from conception to finished product.
• Learn with support and guidance from our Master Goldsmith Tutors with years of industry experience.
• Structured across two days a week to let students continue working and earning a qualification at the same time in under a year.
• Based in our Hatton Garden studios, students are in the Heart of London’s Jewellery Quarter, close to industry, culture and good transport links.
This diploma course is for individuals looking to gain advanced knowledge and practical manufacturing and design experience to begin a career in the jewellery industry or start their own jewellery brand.
This course is also perfectly suited to art school graduates with conceptual jewellery design experience looking to strengthen their technical skillset to be able to make their creations come to life.
A throwback to classical jewellery training, this course focuses on the development of students’ technical competences in working with precious metals and gemstones.
On the course you will train in:
• Advanced Precious Metallurgy– a theoretical and practical examination of the physical and mechanical properties of metals. The unit will include a variety of theoretical knowledge surrounding each metal including their properties, the melting, annealing and quenching process, the causes and prevention of porosity, and hallmarking. The unit also provides theoretical and practical experience of hammering, fluxing, soldering, polishing and carrying out pickling safely and effectively.
• Advanced Jewellery Component Design– a practical study of how to create complex three dimensional jewellery forms. This unit will include exploring methods to illustrate and communicate ideas for complex 3D jewellery form designs, how to use CNC, laser and advanced jewellery production technologies, forming techniques, how to check dimensional accuracy of final pieces, and the identification and utilisation of jewellery material properties.
• Advanced Jewellery Joining Techniques– a unit aiming to further develop theoretical knowledge and practical skills in jewellery restoration and reassignment. Areas covered include a broad overview of traditional and contemporary restoration techniques, gemology and metallurgy, heat treatment techniques, an overview of specialist materials and finishes, advanced jewellery and silversmithing construction methods, chemical restoration methods, quality assurance and damage prevention.
• Advanced Precious Jewellery Restoration and Reassignment Techniques – a unit aiming to further develop theoretical knowledge and practical skills in jewellery restoration and reassignment. Areas covered include a broad overview of traditional and contemporary restoration techniques, gemology and metallurgy, heat treatment techniques, an overview of specialist materials and finishes, advanced jewellery and silversmithing construction methods, chemical restoration methods, quality assurance and damage prevention.
• Entrepreneurship and Brand-Building – Throughout the course, you will gain business, marketing and productions insights on starting your own brand. For the final project, students will get make their own collection, hero piece and diffusion collection whilst being mentored at every stage by our Master Goldsmith tutors.
The Level 4 diploma is predominantly a workshop practice-based taught course, allowing students to learn theory alongside a practical application. The emphasis of the course is to draw out your own creativity and vision, giving you the technical, design and production skills to turn your vision into your own unique collection. Students will be assigned a variety of creative technical projects to advance their manufacturing skillset such as making square linkages, ball clasps, and a cluster ring.
To help you along the way, you’ll have access to all the tools and equipment within our professional jewellery studios. A dedicated tutor with years of real industry experience will be teaching and guiding you through the entire course – our personal and hands-on approach to training guarantees that each student will receive gets enough tutor contact time.
The course runs for 2 days a week over a 10-month period, allowing students to work alongside earning a qualification.
(SQA) Level 4 Diploma in Jewellery Manufacturing and Design.
Entry Criteria: Successful completion of either:
- Level 3 Diploma in Jewellery Manufacturing and Design, or
- Skills bench test to assess jewellery manufacturing skills and design drawing knowledge.
Hatton Garden, London.
10 months; 2 days a week.
2017/18 Course Dates
9th October – 30th July – Mon/Tues
Alumni will automatically be invited to participate in our enrichment programme which includes access to some of the UK’s leading master jewellers, manufacturers and retailers as well as any help and support that you require from our team.
After completing this course, students wishing to further their training would be eligible to progress to the Level 3 Diploma in CAD Design for Jewellery Production, which will develop your digital skillset for jewellery design and learn more about jewellery brand management.
Equally, students also have the option of the CAD Award Short Course, a 2-day 7 week bolt-on course where student can focus on Jewellery CAD Design exclusively.
This course also prepares student looking to go straight into industry for a variety of roles within industry. At BAJ, we offer guidance on different jewellery career pathways and opportunities, and will be able to support you in making the next steps. Contact our Student Support Services to find out how we can support you in finding the right career for you.
The Government recognises our courses support young learners to find employment in the jewellery industry and provides funding for those who wish to gain our qualifications.
How much of the course’s cost you will need to pay:
|Aged 16 – 18 and a UK or EU National||£0|
|International Student (Non-EU)||£8,400|
* The fee for this course is £6,171 including the recommended CAD award (City & Guilds Level 3 Award In 3D Computer Aided Design (QCF)). The maximum available Advanced Learner Loan for the Jewellery Manufacturing qualification is £5,421, the additional £750 cost will need to be covered by the student.
However, you can opt out of the CAD element of this course and pay £5,421, which is covered in full by an Advanced Learner Loan.
To secure a place on the course, in addition to any other requirements, the students will need to have fulfilled one of the below options before the start date :
- Paid the full fee in advance
- Secured an approved Advanced Learner Loan and paid the additional £750 in advance or opted out of the CAD award and secured an approved Advanced Learner Loan
- Secured an approved Advanced Learner Loan and committed to recurring monthly payments via our website or by emailing or calling
For further information with regards to loans, please refer to our Fees and Finance page
Our Student Support Services are happy to discuss your individual circumstances, financial advice and to advise you on how to apply for funds. You can contact them by emailing or calling 0207 405 0197.
The Money Advice Service offer free, impartial money advice to help you make choices throughout your life, whatever your circumstances. If you would like advice on any financial matters or to find out more visit moneyadviceservice.org.uk
2017/18 Course Dates
- 16th October – 30th July 2018 – Mon/Tues
If you see this Google Maps wasn't properly loaded. Please refresh your page 🙂