• Learn to create jewellery CAD models for 3D printing in Gemvision MatrixGold Essentials.
• Learn to use MatrixGold’s embedded rendering tools to create photorealistic renders.
• Study under the guidance of some of the UK jewellery industry’s most seasoned CAD instructors.
Our four-day course is designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to 3D CAD jewellery modelling using MatrixGold Essentials.
Gemvision MatrixGold is a product design software which enables the creation of photorealistic rendering and models for 3D printing and manufacturing. This course is designed for individuals looking to develop their digital design skill-set and work within fine jewellery design.
Whilst having previous computer design knowledge is advantageous, this course requires no prior IT knowledge. However, this course does require experience in jewellery design drawing, jewellery manufacturing, and wax carving.
The course is split into four units:
Unit 1: Interface and Controls
- Introductions / Explanation of CAD and CAM
- An Overview of the MatrixGold Interface
- Building objects with curves, including
- Explode, Join, Rebuild, Split, Trim, Fillet and Offset
- Organizing models with Layers
- Precision modelling with Snaps and Osnaps
- Basic transformation commands, including
- Move, Rotate, Scale, and Mirror
- Using the Extrude Command
Unit 2: Introduction to Solid Modelling
- Basics of Solid modelling, including
- Revolve and Rail Revolve
- Basic Ring Construction
- Band Rings
- Solitaire Rings
- Eternity Bands
- Strategies for Building Objects
- Preparing a file for Rapid Prototyping
Unit 3: Solid Modelling Strategies
- Review of Strategies for Building Models
- Review of Strategies
- Using the Loft command
- Using the Profile Placer
- Building your own claw settings
- Rex Setting
- Prong Setting
- Square Setting
- Building more complex rings
- Using the 2 Rail Sweep
- Making a pinched shank
- Basic Tolerances for Rapid Prototyping
- Basic Rendering methods
- Breaking down shapes into simpler commands
Unit 4: Using MatrixGold Builders
- Building a Crossover Ring
- The Gem on Curve Command
- Universal Deformation Tools (UDT) and their application
- Making Chains With Object on Curve
- Hollowing out a ring
- Building a Bombe Ring
- Pave Stones and Claws on a Surface
MatrixGold Level 1 Certificate certified by Gemvision and British Academy of Jewellery
Due to the professional focus of this course, we assume all students enter the course with at least a basic working knowledge of jewellery design and manufacture. We also assume students are comfortable with managing files on PCs or Macs.
Specifically, all students need:
- Some basic experience with orthographic jewellery design drawing.
- Basic bench jewellery making skills in either metal and/or wax. (Student could also be enroled in a jewellery manufacturing course concurrently with this CAD course.)
- Some basic PC file management and software skills, such as being able to easily create and manage multiple folders in Windows, sending e-mails with attachments, and being able to use Copy and Paste in Microsoft Word.
Hatton Garden, London
The British Academy of Jewellery also offers a diverse range of specialist intensive courses to help individuals develop their jewellery knowledge and skillset in areas such as CAD, gemstone studies and technical drawing.
If you are considering a professional career in jewellery-making, we recommend our Jewellery Diploma Programme, which will equip you with all the knowledge and skills you need to design, make and sell jewellery.
If you are unsure what course is right for you, BAJ offer guidance on jewellery career pathways, and will be able to support you in making the next steps. Contact our Student Support Services to find out how we can support in helping you in finding the right career.
If you see this Google Maps wasn't properly loaded. Please refresh your page 🙂