Our two day intensive course in Gemstone Studies will guide you through the A-Z of gemstones, and equip you with the knowledge which will enable you to recognise and sell commercially important gemstones. Under the guide of our specialist tutor, you will learn how to correctly identify common and unusual gemstones with the benefit of knowing where to find them internationally. During the course you will also learn how to examine the wide range of gemstone properties using professional gemstone tools and you will gain tips to help you distinguish synthetic gemstones, simulants and treated. You will study what factors affect gem prices and availability, and gain technical knowledge for effective sales and excellent service.
Tutor: Graham Tom has over 30 years experience in the jewellery industry. He is a registered valuer and bespoke jeweller.
- Introduction to gemstones
- Structures and physical properties of gemstones (hardness, toughness, cleavage and fracture, chemical stability, density and specific gravity and weight)
- Optical properties and optical effect of light on gemstone (causes of colour, transparency, dispersion and diffraction, refraction)
- Mining and manufacture, sources and deposits
- Identification of natural, synthetic, artificial and simulant
Who should take this course?
- Suited for professionals or jewellery enthusiasts
- Current students in jewellery related courses
- Enthusiasts looking to gain gemstone expertise
Entry requirements: No prior knowledge or skills are necessary for this course but prior jewellery knowledge may be advantageous
Course dates: 9th – 10th February 2019
Duration: 2 days
Qualification: British Academy of Jewellery Gemstone Studies for Beginners Certificate
Progression: The British Academy of Jewellery offers a diverse range of specialist intensive courses to help individuals develop their jewellery knowledge and skill set in areas such as CAD and Diamond Grading. We also provide a Jewellery Diploma Programme, which will equip you with all the knowledge and skills you need to design, make and sell jewellery.
For more information and to register for the course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you see this Google Maps wasn't properly loaded. Please refresh your page 🙂