Our two day intensive course in Gemstone Studies will guide you through the A-Z of gemstones, and equip you with the knowledge which will enable you to recognise and sell commercially important gemstones. Under the guide of our specialist tutor, you will learn how to correctly identify species and varieties of common and rare gemstones with the benefit of understanding their physical and optical properties which can help determine mining origin. During the course you will also learn how to examine the wide range of gemstone properties using professional gemstone tools and you will gain tips to help you distinguish synthetic gemstones, simulants and enhanced gemstones. You will study what attributes affect gem prices and availability, and gain knowledge for use of realising sales and excellence of service.
Tutor: Graham Tom has over 35 years experience in the jewellery industry. He is a diamond and gemstone broker, bespoke jeweller, registered valuer, and an expert witness.
- Introduction to gemstone structure and mining sources.
- Physical properties of gemstones (hardness, toughness, cleavage and fracture, chemical stability, density and specific gravity and weight)
- Optical properties (lustre, reflection, asterism, iridescence, inclusions and optical effect of light on gemstones (causes of colour, transparency, dispersion and diffraction, refraction)
- Identification of natural, synthetic, artificial and simulant gemstones
Who should take this course?
- Suited for professionals or jewellery enthusiasts
- Current students in jewellery related courses
- Enthusiasts looking to gain gemstone expertise
Entry requirements: No prior knowledge or skills are necessary for this course but prior jewellery knowledge may be advantageous
Course dates: 9th – 10th February 2019
Duration: 2 days
Qualification: British Academy of Jewellery Gemstone Studies for Beginners Certificate
Progression: The British Academy of Jewellery offers a diverse range of specialist intensive courses to help individuals develop their jewellery knowledge and skill set in areas such as CAD and Diamond Grading. We also provide a Jewellery Diploma Programme, which will equip you with all the knowledge and skills you need to design, make and sell jewellery.
For more information and to register for the course, please contact email@example.com
If you see this Google Maps wasn't properly loaded. Please refresh your page 🙂